Never failed to visit to this buzzing Japanese cuisine chain whenever I visit Malaysia, to be specific, Sunway Pyramid Shopping Centre. It was trendy and it happened Sakae Sushi has just launched their new menu and introduced better ordering system. Yes you still ordered the food via tablets but I am impressed by how user-friendly the ordering system has become recently. Every pictures of food (on the menu) you saw on the tablet could be directly added to your order without popping out to another page.
The fact that this is one of largest commercial Japanese cuisine chain, you should not expect nor compare the food to be extremely excellent (like most of Michelin’s Japanese restaurant) but it was decent enough for every shopper in shopping centre. The varieties of food was still impressive; from sushi (either conveyor plate or made to order), California roll, sukiyaki, tempura, udon, ramen, soba, bento box and etc.. pretty much what you expect for Japanese cuisine.
My wife and I had
- Crab Meat and Tuna Sushi Roll- RM6.99 (approx £1.07)
- Salmon Treasure (Sushi) Set – with 5 different types of Salmon sushi for RM20.99 (£3.22)
- Tenzazu Cha Soba (aka green tea soba) with vegetable tempura, sweet teriyaki mirin sauce and a quail egg for RM20.99 (£3.22)
- Soft Shell Crab Meat
- Chicken Yakitori- 2 sticks for RM6.99 (£1.07)
- Hiyashi Unagi Taufu- Steamed Hiyashi Taufu and sprinkled with crispy eel skin RM9.99 (£1.56)
Yes the food are commercialised but still succeed many restaurant in London. And the price was decent too.
We paid around RM70 (including VAT) which is £12 with fraction of £1:RM6.40 back in Nov 2015. It might be slightly pricey quick lunch for local Malaysian but as for us we do think it’s worth visiting every year!